My family and I love Mexican food! We love, love, love it and usually eat it in some form or another at least two times a week. I'm always looking for new ways to eat our favorite flavors. So as I was thinking about all the flavors we love to eat in a burrito, it hit me. Why not meld all of those foods into a hearty casserole and have less dishes to clean up at the end of the night? Everyone's dream, right???
If you're a vegetarian, or you are just trying to stretch your grocery budget even further, you could replace the chicken for another can of black beans, or even a can of pinto beans. If you're not eating the THM way you could add some frozen or canned corn as well.
My family gobbled this casserole up without anyone whining. That's a true win for this momma! My kids already asked if we could have it again next week.
Pin it for later.
- 2/3 c. brown rice
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 med. green pepper, diced
- 1 med. carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 oz. diced green chilies
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3/4 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 dashes of cayenne pepper (if you don't like spice omit this all together, or use 1 dash)
- 3/4 c. jarred or homemade fresh salsa (I use this recipe for the salsa and substitute 1/4 t. THM Sweet Blend for the sugar. Whatever salsa you use, just make sure it has NO added sugar.)
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- mozzarella cheese
- Mix rice and stock in a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cook until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green peppers, carrots and green chilies to the pan and sauté until the onion is tender. Add in the chicken and the spices. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice and beans to the mixture. Stir and make sure it is completely combined. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place mixture in the greased 9x13 pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve and top with just a pinch of mozzarella cheese.